The Coffee House

Full Version: Hubble stumbles upon new galaxy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/831/hu...ghborhood/
 The universe is very cluttered. Myriad island cities of stars, the galaxies, form a backdrop tapestry. Much closer to home are nebulae, star clusters and assorted other foreground celestial objects that are mostly within our Milky Way galaxy. Despite the vastness of space, objects tend to get in front of each other.

This happened when astronomers used the Hubble Space Telescope to photograph the globular star cluster NGC 6752 (located 13,000 light-years away in our Milky Way's halo). In a celestial game of "Where's Waldo?" Hubble's sharp vision uncovered a never-before-seen dwarf galaxy located far behind the cluster's crowded stellar population. The loner galaxy is in our own cosmic backyard, only 30 million light-years away (approximately 2,300 times farther than the foreground cluster).

The object is classified as a dwarf spheroidal galaxy because it measures only around 3,000 light-years at its greatest extent (barely 1/30th the diameter of the Milky Way), and it is roughly a thousand times dimmer than the Milky Way.

Since the original article doesn't link to it, the research is published here

Anyway, it's pretty amazing that something like this was hiding in our back yard - if 30 million light years away can even be described as "our back yard" :lol: . Though, if this 'dwarf galaxy' was relatively close, and yet we could still just barely see it, it makes me wonder how many more there are that we can't see?
Amazing, I agree, and I am sure many others are out there and will be discovered in the future.
Indeed: the chances are we've only scratched the surface when it comes to what galaxies are out there :P . There are probably quite a few more hiding right under our noses, waiting to be discovered. 

Of course, they're much too far away for any of us to go and visit, which is kind of sad, really :( .
That's amazing.... I can't believe we find stuff like this everyday.

Wonder if there's life there too?