The Coffee House

Full Version: What if fossil fuels never existed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A few days ago, I posted a thread about an AlternateHistoryHub video, which speculated on what a world without horses might be like. This is a world along similar lines; however, instead of getting rid of horses, we're losing fossil fuels. Let's suppose that coal, oil, and natural gas are not practical as fuels: perhaps they're too difficult to ignite; perhaps they decompose and break down millions of years before we lay our hands on them; or perhaps they're just too spread out to be worth mining and drilling for. 

In this scenario, what does our world look like in 2019? 

• Obviously, transport is going to be very different. Most of our modern-day transport uses oil as fuel, and even the steam engines we had before that used coal. So, are we still dependent on animals for our transportation needs, or have we found an alternative solution? (Do note that wood-burning steam engines would still be allowed in this universe, although you would need to produce enough wood to be able to use them!)

• We have lots of oil-based and oil-dependent products which we use in our everyday lives (for example, plastics). In this timeline, we could still make some plastics out of plants (the first plastics were made using cellulose, which we can obtain from cotton and wood pulp). However, these wouldn't be as good, so we'd probably be limited in what we could do with them;

• Electricity would still be allowed in this world. However, we have to generate it from somewhere, and much of our electricity is generated from fossil fuels. In this timeline, where does our electricity come from? 

• Nuclear power is still allowed too - but, without fossil fuels, can we develop the technology to harness it?

Those are just a few starting points: I'm sure there's loads more that I haven't even thought of :lol: . So, what do you reckon this world would look like?