The Coffee House

Full Version: CJ's Model Railway
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Cross-post from the old board: 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the_coff...tml#p66655

One of my hobbies is my model railway, which I've been into for about 15 years now. I've modeled in both OO gauge (essentially, the British equivalent of HO gauge) and N gauge, although I've been focusing more on N gauge in recent years. 

Some of the older pictures are still available in the old thread, but any new ones will be posted in here. I'll start with my 'main' present from this year's Christmas - the LMS Princess Coronation Class No. 46221 "Queen Elizabeth":

Click to enlarge
(Click to enlarge)

In the background is No. 6234 "Duchess of Abercorn" - also a Princess Coronation class locomotive. I got that one for my 13th birthday in 2003, and I included it to illustrate the differences between the old and new models. While I prefer the red colour of the older model, I think the detailing on the new one is a lot better :) !

I did get some other stuff for Christmas (and my birthday), so hopefully I'll get a chance to show those off later.
Today, I started work on another of those cardboard kits. This one is a village school, which I got for my birthday:

[Image: aoRqwHp.jpg]

As you can see, it's nowhere near finished yet, but it is starting to take shape. I'm just showing it on the cutting board, because I'm not sure exactly where on the layout I'm going to put it :P .
A while back, I shared this picture of the progress in the main station area.

Well, I've done some more now :) . This week, I've painted up the footpath and the stairs, and also marked a zebra crossing leading from the car park to the ice cream van and the hot dog stand. So, here's what it looks like now:

Click to enlarge
(Click to enlarge)

Now, I just need to finish off that cattle dock...
Looking good!! :D Like the little details.
You know I have always been fascinated by and appreciated the time, effort, and energy that goes into making these things. I've seen some beautifully made model train set ups that are just, so breathtaking and realistic.

I myself just don't have that kind of patience and time on my hands lol.

So kudos to you man! You should share more of your sets, I'd like to see them.
Thanks :) ! Yeah, it does require a lot of patience (I seem to have a talent for messing things up, so the only things I post in here are the ones that do go right :lol: ).

I have done a little more work on it since that last post, but I haven't really completed anything else. Maybe soon :P .
Since I got a bunch of stuff for this layout at the Warley railway exhibition a couple of days ago... I might as well post another picture:

Click to enlarge
(Click to enlarge)

This is a model of a Great Western Railway 'Grange' class 4-6-0 locomotive (which was similar to the earlier 'Hall' class, but with smaller driving wheels for increased traction). In total, 80 of them were built between 1936 and 1939 (there were plans for more, but the onset of World War II meant that the rest never got built). On the whole, they were reliable workhorses that did the job they were designed for, and the last ones remained in use until 1965. Sadly, all 80 of them were scrapped: there were plans to save one of them, but in the end it didn't happen :( . However, this historical wrong is soon to be righted: there is a project to build the 81st one, a full three-quarters of a century after it was supposed to be built (making it quite possibly the latest train ever to arrive Rofl !!!)

As for the model, it was a great bargain: it normally sells for around £140, but I bought it for half of that :O . They had them in green too, but I have quite a lot of green engines anyway, and I thought the lined black one looked smart, so that's what I went with. It's quite a reasonable runner, although it did stutter over some of the dirty sections of track... maybe I need to clean my layout a bit :lol: .
Looking good! I like the small details of grass, flowers and stones in the second picture - makes it look much better.
(01-11-2020, 09:45 PM)Greninlucarizardlup Wrote: [ -> ]Looking good! I like the small details of grass, flowers and stones in the second picture - makes it look much better.

Yeah, with these things, they do look so much more realistic if you have an eye for the small details. For example, I'm currently in the process of adding road markings to my roads, and it looks so much better than just a plain grey strip with cars on it!

Hopefully, I'll have a few more pictures soon.
Awesome. I love the attention to detail in displaying everything! I especially like the car park. Can't wait to see more :D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16