The Coffee House

Full Version: 2018's most mispronounced words
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46632322

Christmas is a time for reflection, family and dinner table debates.

But do you ever find yourself stuck mid-conversation on how to pronounce names such as Eugenie (you-JAY-nee) or Geraint (ger-AINT)? You're not alone.

A survey by the British Institute for Verbatim Reporters (BIVR) has identified the most mispronounced names and words of the year.
  • BBC Sports Personality of the Year Geraint Thomas (ger-aint, with the "ain" to rhyme with "wine") won the Tour De France in July
  • Forget about hygge. In 2018, it's all about coorie (COO-rie) - Scotland's answer to the cosy lifestyle trend
  • Irish-American actress Saoirse Ronan (SIR-shuh ROE-nun) bagged her latest Oscar nomination earlier this year in Lady Bird
  • The Belgian city of Ypres (EE-pruh) was a focal point for the centenary commemorations for the end of World War One
  • In October, journalist Jamal Khashoggi (ja-MALL ka-SHOG-gi) was killed in Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul

Wow, quite a few I didn't know here. I knew how to pronounce 'Ypres', but I wouldn't have known where to start with 'Saoirse' :P !

Deleted User 8

(12-20-2018, 08:13 PM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ]BBC Sports Personality of the Year Geraint Thomas (ger-aint, with the "ain" to rhyme with "wine") won the Tour De France in July
I knew how that's pronounced already, because an ITV News correspondant also bears that name ;) And, that woman's first name must be hell for anyone but eh, that's Irish for you :lol: