The Coffee House

Full Version: X Factor finalist and the ex-convict
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Deleted User 8

Quote:X Factor finalist Anthony Russell has sparked controversy after posing in a photo with his friend Michael Sands - a convicted killer.

The singer marked their long friendship by posting the picture saying: “Nice day with the fellas my man Mike day oner!!!!”.

It is claimed show's bosses, including Simon Cowell, are said to have ­considered kicking the finalist off the show for his links to the thug.

Sands had been jailed for battering defenceless 18-year-old Neil Murphy in ­Liverpool in 2010.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/sh...l-15492112

I know the show had been plagued with hopeful contestants that are't what they really are but this one is just crossing the line. I also question the guy's mentality of why would he be friends with someone who did such a heinous crime, even if it was eight years ago. Deep down, that person may be secretly a thug too nevermind him being a freakin' chav for how he acts in the show. Sort of wish this was made known sooner but, would be interesting to know if he actually gets pulled from the final that's on tonight and if so, hell mend him.

With this known, this could spell the end of an era for the show itself.
Freedom of association. This is basic stuff guys.
'Freedom of association' works both ways, though. I'm pretty sure The X Factor has rules against "bringing the show into disrepute", and requires it's competitors to sign contracts with clauses where they agree not to do that.

With that said, it's hard to judge this without knowing the context of the picture. If the ex-con has spent the past eight years turning his life around, and the contestant is showing his support for that, then there's no way he should be kicked off over this. On the other hand, if the ex-con has just returned to the kind of behaviour that got him into trouble to begin with, and the contestant appears to be endorsing that behaviour - then, yeah, that's bringing the show into disrepute. (I suspect the truth lies between these two extremes, but like I said, I don't know; I haven't looked into it)

Anyway, this certainly won't help the show (which has been declining for a while now, and overstayed it's welcome anyway)
as was said yes freedom of association but not freedom from consequence. especially if you signed a contract that you could be violating and didnt read fully because of that. Is it always right? perhaps not but better safe than sorry.

Deleted User 8

And in spite of this, the guy appeared in the final anyway, but Simon is already pissed about this.