The Coffee House

Full Version: FIFA proposes idea to host world cup every 2 years instead of 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807...=editorial

Probably going to pass, as this will generate significantly more revenue and business opportunities, plus it's something fans will definitely appreciate too.
I certainly wouldn't appreciate that.

The World Cup gets too much in the way as it is. It would be nightmarish to have the country completely halted for a month and then some every two years.

Just thinking about it makes me sick.
(11-25-2018, 08:32 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: [ -> ]I certainly wouldn't appreciate that.

The World Cup gets too much in the way as it is. It would be nightmarish to have the country completely halted for a month and then some every two years.

The hosts would rotate though, right? Or do you mean it just generally disrupts everything? I can imagine the craze in Argentina.
No, this wouldn't work. Each continent has its own tournament in between World Cups. Plus, there's the Confederations Cup and the new Nations League tournaments to fit in. Taking these out would rob countries who never qualify a chance of appearing in these continental affairs.
Four years is a long time to wait between World Cups, so for those who enjoy the event, this would be a nice idea. However, it'd be a nightmare to implement, largely for the reasons that gave. You'd need to move regional tournaments like the European Championships (which do a nice job of plugging the gaps between the World Cups anyway). Of course, you could always move those into the 'odd' years, but then, I don't think the players would appreciate having to play in the summer every year and ever really getting a break from football. I'm guessing some of the top players would just stop participating in the regional tournaments, and it'd heavily damage their prestige. 

So, while I can understand the appeal, I don't think it would work.
(11-25-2018, 09:06 AM)Crooked Crow Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2018, 08:32 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: [ -> ]I certainly wouldn't appreciate that.

The hosts would rotate though, right? Or do you mean it just generally disrupts everything? I can imagine the craze in Argentina. 

It's completely bonkers in Argentina. Some stores and services even stop or work on a limited state when we take the field.

It's simply unpleasant for us not in love with the game.
I guess I can understand the reasoning you guys have provided.
(11-25-2018, 07:44 PM)Crooked Crow Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I can understand the reasoning you guys have provided.

Yeah, but will FIFA? 

My guess is 'No', because money talks. *cough*Qatar*cough*
(11-25-2018, 07:48 PM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2018, 07:44 PM)Crooked Crow Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I can understand the reasoning you guys have provided.

Yeah, but will FIFA? 

My guess is 'No', because money talks. *cough*Qatar*cough* 

Yeah, this is probably going to happen. 2018; everything is about business and money and fiscal markets.
As exciting as the World Cup is

It's best that we keep it at 4 years. Like many said, there are other continental tournaments like the nations league and the UEFA Euro Cup. It's bad for the Football Associations in those continents whose tournaments are going on and tires the players out on their offseason.

The juicy money FIFA wants is all it matters now apparently.....
Pages: 1 2