The Coffee House

Full Version: Regarding competitive chess, esports, etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I'm sure you're aware, this section is for discussion of sports and physical activities. However, the line for what counts as a 'sport' is sometimes blurred. For example, some people consider chess to be a 'sport', while others merely consider it to be a 'game'. Likewise, there's been a recent emergence of 'esports', in which video games are played as a competitive sport! So, where should threads about these go?

My position is that both chess and esports are more 'games' than 'sports'. Therefore, any threads about esports should go in The Gaming Table, and not in "Sports and Physical Activities". Likewise, any threads about chess (or any other board games played competitively) should go in the "Tabletops and Toys" sub-forum of the Gaming section.

However, there are some threads in "Sports and Physical Activities" that aren't tied to any specific sport (for example, "The Good Sportsmanship Thread" and "People you're surprised are still competing"). These phenomena also exist in competitive board games and esports - but I really don't think there's any point in starting equivalent threads in Gaming (for example, "Good sportsmanship in esports" or "Chess players you're surprised are still competing"): that'd quickly get untidy. Therefore, if you have any examples of chess players, esports teams, or other professional gamers who fit into these threads, you're welcome to use the existing threads within Sports and Physical Activities :) .

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, I hope I've made everything clear :) !