The Coffee House

Full Version: Do you use "whom"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One of the rules of English grammar that causes the most confusion is when to use 'who' or 'whom'. The rule is that 'who' is used to refer to the subject of a verb or preposition (e.g. if a girl kissed me, she would be "the girl who kissed me"). On the other hand, 'whom' is used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition (e.g. if I kissed a girl, she would be "the girl whom I kissed"). If that's clear to you, then great - but, if not, then you aren't alone: some people get so confused by it that they don't bother at all!

I try my best to use 'who' and 'whom' correctly. The trick I use is:

• if the sentence still makes sense when I replace the relevant word or phrase with 'he' or 'she', use 'who';
  • On the other hand, if the sentence still makes sense when I replace it with him' or 'her', use 'whom'. 
I bet there are still cases where I mess it up, but at least I try. (There have been times where I've written out a long wall of text, then edited it just to change 'who' to 'whom', or vice versa :lol: )

So, what about you? Do you take the effort to do this, or do you not bother?
No, because I don't know how to use it.
Nope.

I've learned the proper use of "its" vs "it's" but haven't bothered with "whom" so far.

Deleted User 8

Only for "to whom it may concern". Other than that, no.
I try to use it when I can, but do occasionally forget.
Not consistently. I do sometimes.

Actually, maybe you should put this as an option in the poll. :P
(10-13-2018, 04:40 PM)Jarkko Wrote: [ -> ]Not consistently. I do sometimes.

Actually, maybe you should put this as an option in the poll. :P

Wish granted :) .
Thank you, sir! :D
If I’m talking casually then I don’t usually bother because English grammar is so weird in general anyway lol.

Deleted User 35

I know when to use them, but I get lazy.
Pages: 1 2