The Coffee House

Full Version: Graduates won't apply to job if no salary listed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.businessinsider.com/hiring-g...?r=US&IR=T

Employers that don't share pay ranges in a job posting may lose out on talent from soon-to-be and recent graduates.

According to a new survey of recent and upcoming US post-secondary and recent graduates, 85% reported they are "less likely to apply for a job if the company does not disclose the salary range in the job posting."

That's according to Adobe's Future Workforce Study. The December survey, conducted with Advanis, included just over 1,000 respondents who were US post-secondary students and recent graduates.

This desire to know how much a job will pay may differ from older generations.

Yeah, I never applied for any jobs that didn't list the salary. After all, for me, the pay is the entire point of doing the job in the first place: it's kind of important to know how much I'd be getting :lol: !

Although, hopefully, I won't need to apply for any new jobs any time soon anyway :P .
I would never apply for a job that didn't list the salary or even let me know in some way in advance.
I’m cautious of jobs without a salary listed, however this isn’t a complete deterrent for me. I could apply for a job and decline it if I’m not happy with how much they offer.. and sometimes it’s not listed as it’s down to negotiation and experience. Saying that, certain vague job titles put me off more. Normally the jobs I apply for I know how much roughly I should be getting.
(02-20-2023, 12:40 AM)Shiny Star Wrote: [ -> ]I’m cautious of jobs without a salary listed, however this isn’t a complete deterrent for me. I could apply for a job and decline it if I’m not happy with how much they offer.. and sometimes it’s not listed as it’s down to negotiation and experience. Saying that, certain vague job titles put me off more. Normally the jobs I apply for I know how much roughly I should be getting.

Yeah, I suppose it's fair enough if the salary is determined by negotiation and experience. However, it seems unlikely that graduates would be going for those kinds of jobs anyway (and even if they are, some kind of estimate would be nice :P )

I remember when I applied for my current job, the salary was listed as "£18,000-£25,000", and I started with the £18,000. (I was up to £25,000 within a few years, though :) !)
I feel like worst case scenario, even if you’re offered the job you don’t need to take it. It can feel like a waste of time though. It’s good when companies give raises and are open to negotiation.
(03-12-2023, 02:44 PM)Shiny Star Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like worst case scenario, even if you’re offered the job you don’t need to take it. It can feel like a waste of time though. It’s good when companies give raises and are open to negotiation.

Yeah, true. Though it would be a real disappointment to go through the application and interview process, just for that... I'd rather save the effort (and use it on some other company) if I could!

I guess it depends on how desperate you are.
(03-20-2023, 11:32 PM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2023, 02:44 PM)Shiny Star Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like worst case scenario, even if you’re offered the job you don’t need to take it. It can feel like a waste of time though. It’s good when companies give raises and are open to negotiation.

Yeah, true. Though it would be a real disappointment to go through the application and interview process, just for that... I'd rather save the effort (and use it on some other company) if I could!

I guess it depends on how desperate you are.

For sure. I would say any interview experience is useful experience though.

Deleted User 1213

This is one of my pet peeves in Barbados. Literally no job listings provide any indication as to salary, even for skilled work. Bizarre.
For those people who don't apply with no salary listed...obviously aren't desperate enough for a job. If you want money, you'll accept a job and try to ladder up from there. Being without work for months and years at a time can actually hinder your job search. A friend of mine just discovered that! 

Most type of jobs throughout the US have a basic salary rate that will be paid with a give or plus of $10,000 depending on cost of living in the location. So if there is no salary listed, just Google what it's worth.
Well, I think there's another aspect to this as well.

When I was a child, I was always told that going to university was the key to getting a good job. It was sold to me as a way to avoid "having to take just any job".

So I think that, if someone's been brought up with that idea, and then they go to university and do well there - then, they'll expect to find a good job. But then, if they start applying for jobs, and the messaging suddenly changes to "Well if you won't take just any job then clearly you're not desperate enough"...then, that comes as quite a shock to the system. It goes against everything they've been told up to that point in life - and for many of them, it negates the reason why they went to university to begin with :( .
Pages: 1 2