The Coffee House

Full Version: Roger Federer to retire from tennis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tennis https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/62911876 Tennis

Roger Federer, one of the greatest players of all time, will retire from top-level tennis after the Laver Cup in London this month.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion has not played since Wimbledon 2021, after which he had a third knee operation.

"My body's message to me lately has been clear," Swiss Federer, 41, said.

"I have played more than 1,500 matches over 24 years. Now I must recognise when it is time to end my competitive career."

He added: "To the game of tennis, I love you and will never leave you."

Not surprising at all, given his age and his recent injury issues - but nevertheless, it's always very sad to see such a glittering career coming to an end. He was one of those athletes who transcended his sport: a great of not just tennis, but of world sport as a whole.

Good luck to him in whatever he does next.
Man, Roger and Serena retiring within weeks of each other. That's crazy. He achieved pretty much everything you could in the sport, so congratulations to him on a wonderful career, and hope he finds something fulfilling to do now that it's over.

I envy anyone who gets to see him, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray do the Laver Cup together!
Not just a great tennis player but a great representative of sport in general, a credit to the country of Switzerland, and the pride of the city of Basel. His play and demeanour inspired so many people to take up the great sport of tennis. He'll be sorely missed.
Indeed - and it's not just his spectacular achievements on the court: in spite of all of that, he remained classy, and never allowed his status to get to his head (as certain other sports legends, both inside and outside tennis, have done).

Of particular note is his rivalry with fellow legend Rafael Nadal, who left the following statement:

Their rivalry is a model for elite athletes in all of sport: intense and fiercely-contested on the court, but friendly and good-natured off it, with mutual respect shown at all times.
(09-16-2022, 10:27 PM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed - and it's not just his spectacular achievements on the court: in spite of all of that, he remained classy, and never allowed his status to get to his head (as certain other sports legends, both inside and outside tennis, have done).

Of particular note is his rivalry with fellow legend Rafael Nadal, who left the following statement:

Their rivalry is a model for elite athletes in all of sport: intense and fiercely-contested on the court, but friendly and good-natured off it, with mutual respect shown at all times.

Now that is pure class from Rafa Nadal.  Everytime I saw those two on the court, what I expected, I got in spades.  That was pure fireworks!  Thank you Rafa and Roger for one of the greatest tennis rivalries these nearly 47-year-old eyes have borne witness to.
Looks like Federer won't be playing in the singles of the Laver Cup after all - so, his loss to Hubert Hurkacz in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon 2021 will go down as the last singles match of his career.

However, he still intends to play in the doubles - and he hopes that his partner will be Rafael Nadal:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/s...-laver-cup

Yes, please... that'd be a lovely way for him to go out. Make it happen :D !
Federer's final match has been completed - and the result was:

United States Jack Sock / United States Francis Tiafoe def. Switzerland Roger Federer / Spain Rafael Nadal 4-6 7-67-2 11-9

And so ends one of the most glittering and most spectacular careers in tennis history - which saw him dominate much of the 2000s, and defy his age to remain a regular title contender through the 2010s. In total, he won 20 Grand Slam tournaments (including eight Wimbledons); won 103 titles in total; and spent 310 weeks as World No. 1 (including a 237-week streak from 2004 to 2008). A victory here would have been the icing on the cake; sadly, it was not to be, but I'm just glad that this dream match-up happened. Win or lose, it's still a rather fitting way to go out.

And of course, congratulations to Jack Sock and Francis Tiafoe on their victory. Overcoming a 42-time Grand Slam-winning opposition requires a great deal of talent, not to mention nerves of steel!