The Coffee House

Full Version: TV ad breaks to get longer, more frequent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho...13456.html

TV viewers may have to watch longer and more frequent adverts if broadcasting regulator Ofcom decides to raise advertising limits under a review of broadcasting rules.

Ofcom said the reassessment would take place because TV watching habits have changed, mainly as a result of the prevalence of online streaming services such as Netflix and Disney+.

The regulator’s current rules state that the “total amount of advertising in any one day must not exceed an average of seven minutes per hour of broadcasting” for ITV, or STV in Scotland, Channel 4, and Channel 5.

These channels can run advertising breaks of up to eight minutes per hour during prime time – between 7am and 9am, and 6pm and 11pm.

Other channels are allowed up to nine minutes of advertising per hour of broadcasting, plus an extra three minutes for teleshopping.

Yeah, I don't think anybody wants this -_- . I guess it's one way to pay the bills, but since it's degrading the quality of the service, it should probably be a last resort.

Of course, I don't expect many people will stop watching TV altogether over this, but they'll probably get annoyed, and they'll just skip the ads anyway...
Annoying! We record a lot of programmes to watch later, anyway, so we can just wind through the ads.
I can't help but feel like pushing more money out of less content is not the answer these media companies need to solve why their viewers are turning to online sources.  Sadly it will likely affect all streaming services as well as it would require shorter episode lengths.
Ugh. Adverts are only good for toilet breaks or making a drink. I definitely favour streaming platforms as I have the control. I get companies wanting to make money but we need that balance.