The Coffee House

Full Version: Disable the editor in Quick Reply?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You may have noticed the annoying "This message is missing" errors over the past couple of weeks. Sadly, we don't yet have a fix, but we have identified the following circumstances in which the issues take place: 

1. If the user loads the editor in Source Mode by default, this sometimes causes the "This Message is Missing" error message;
  2. If the user loads the editor in Source Mode by default, and they quote a post, then this leads to just the quoted content being posted (losing the reply the user entered);
  3. The latest one: if the user is posting using Quick Reply, and they copy and paste in emoticons, this causes the "This Message is Missing" error.  

Issues #1 and #2 can be fixed by turning off the "Load the editor in Source Mode by default" option in your User CP, which I appreciate is annoying for those who prefer Source Mode, but unfortunately it's the closest thing to a 'fix' that we have right now :( . However, this still leaves issue #3, which affects everybody, whether they're loading in Source Mode or not. 

Fortunately, issue #3 seems to be specific to the Quick Reply box. So, if we turn the editor off for Quick Reply, then this issue should go away. Also, this should improve performance on mobiles (I will note that, on my phone, the editor takes forever to load in Quick Reply, and even when it does it looks very clunky). 

So, would anyone mind if I turned off the editor in Quick Reply for now?

Deleted User 8

Yes, I'd do it if I were you, considering that many of use Quick Reply anyway.
I use Quick Reply a lot, but I can work around this.

Actually, might be worth affixing a poll to this topic on whether people use Quick Reply or not.
(09-07-2018, 01:57 PM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ](I will note that, on my phone, the editor takes forever to load in Quick Reply, and even when it does it looks very clunky). 

I have this same problem, too. Also when I try to type a message it's really hard because the text lags. It's not really that well optimized for mobile phones which is quite obvious so I will have no problem if you turn it off for fast reply.
I personally use the quick reply a lot. Even on my mobile phone. Though my phone is a flagship so my experience will not reflect the mass of most people on TCH. I personally don't think removing the quick reply is a good idea. Firstly, because not everyone has a problem with it. If users have a problem with it they should just click the new reply button and use the full editor. I don't see the use in disabling it for all if some people still have ability to use it?
I'm with Oscar on this. The quick reply helps me skip a step if I'm just typing a sentence or two. Although if I'm posting one of my linguistic walls of text, I'll do "New Reply." :P

Is it possible to make this a poll, though? Just because I have a preference doesn't mean I shouldn't grin and bear it if more people decide that it's better to axe quick reply for now. ;)
(09-07-2018, 05:37 PM)Jarkko Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to make this a poll, though? Just because I have a preference doesn't mean I shouldn't grin and bear it if more people decide that it's better to axe quick reply for now. ;)
Good idea. I've added a poll. :)
I don’t have a problem with it taking forever to load, so I really don’t know. :(
Think the poll needs a third option for people who don't care. :P
Done.
Pages: 1 2