The Coffee House

Full Version: Facebook launches YouTube rival
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45333962

Facebook's Watch video-streaming service is rolling out worldwide, just over a year after its US launch.

Users will be able to choose from a range of shows - from both established brands and new players - and have the ability to view clips saved from their News Feeds.

The firm plans to allow all content creators to feature advertising breaks, so long as they hit certain metrics.

Until now, only select publishers had been given the opportunity.

To begin with, only videos shown to audiences in the UK, US, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand will have this facility.

Personally, I can't see this replacing YouTube. It'd be like Google+, except in reverse (instead of Google failing to replace a Facebook service, Facebook will be failing to replace a Google service). 

So, does this have any chance at all?
I've heard of this before. A singer I like features on one of the shows. Facebook isn't overly active anymore anyway and I agree that nothing more will probably become of it. I think will be like Google + all over again. If Facebook did this a few years ago, it would have had more of a chance but people aren't going to watch stuff that isn't overall appealing. People won't swap from what they like for the sake of it. At least it might help keep Facebook alive!
Not a chance in hell. YT already has YT Red- yes, people willing to pay.
I watched WWE's Mixed Match Challenge and MLB's Game of the week on it, I do hope they bring more sports into the mix cause it gave me a reason to be on Facebook :P