The Coffee House

Full Version: Is fear of animals an evolutionary leftover?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't know if it is the right place, but let's go...

I was recently reading about evolution. Reading really allows us to connect the dots. Because I wondered that if our fear of animals (Dogs, cats or whatever) is actually a leftover of evolution.

Hear me out. Humans were never really the top species to begin with. We were at the bottom of the food chain, being hunted frequently by other animals. We were always in the shadow of being hunted down. There were plenty of animals top of us, like wild dogs, the cat family, wolves, etc. Yes, as you might wonder, those days of scavenging are beyond us now. We are the most intelligent species by and far on the planet (I can even say that intelligence was a sort of adaptation against us being hunted).

However, as you know, the basic traits of human being haven't changed even one bit. For example, any human couldn't had survive alone during those days, hence a human is a social animal. Similarly, I've got a theory in my mind that even our fear of animals is a leftover of evolution. Whenever we are scared of animals, it's actually our pre historic trait of our brain telling us to run away as that animal is going to hunt us down.

What are your thoughts?
(10-26-2021, 04:55 PM)Photon Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know if it is the right place, but let's go...

Yeah, it is quite borderline :P . However, I raised the matter with the rest of the staff - and, we've agreed that we'll leave it where it is for now (but if the discussion gets dominated by the evolutionary/biological aspects, rather than psychological/moral aspects, then we'll either move it into Science and Nature or split it)

Anyway, to the question at hand... I suspect it probably is. The first time a cat or a dog got within biting distance of me, I was rather nervous - and that never completely went away. I was never taught to be nervous like that: if anything, cats and dogs were portrayed very positively in all the educational material and popular culture that I consumed :lol: . The only explanation I can come up with is that we humans have a powerful survival instinct: we have a hard-wired sub-conscious desire to stay alive, and we're very averse to anything that threatens that.

With that being said, I'm not sure that I'd describe it as a "leftover", because we still need it :P . Perhaps in the case of domesticated pets, we don't - but in the case of wild animals (especially the bigger ones), we certainly do!!!