The Coffee House

Full Version: Afrofuturism, a multi-media genre of intrigue.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So what is Afrofuturism? (pronounced, Afro - Futurism).

Afrofuturism is a genre of science fiction which basically takes the ideas of classic science fiction and views them through a post african cultural lens, specifically that which has left africa and how it's evolved in the rest of the world in places like america, europe, asia, etc.  It usually deals with a future that like cyberpunk is often the near future where things aren't always better, but where often things are focused on people of color rather than your usual protagonist, the majority of which are white, often reflecting the authors and world of the time.  It also usually deals with themes like Alienation, Liberation, and how technology affects the way we perceive concepts like racism, classism, cultural appropriation, slavery and ethnocide. (the destruction of culture or history while keeping the people intact, as was happening with Christianity and the destruction of other religions and cultures for example). 

The one important thing about science fiction is that it allows the author and reader to explore new worlds and ideas through a fantastical world, often challenging commonly accepted ideas and stereotypes (for example the idea that humans aren't the end all be all, or that any one group is dominant of another).  This plays well into telling stories that that deal with ongoing issues in our world without directly calling out or challenging real world groups.  In a way it's a kind of education on alternative perspectives and that's why I like science fiction in general, however I recently stumbled across the idea of afrofuturism and became fascinated since as a person who's view is absolute equality and a neo neitzchean perspective it lets me look at things from the other side rather than what's on the surface.

Much like cyberpunk Afrofuturism is also a mutli-media genre stretching across musical albums, TV series, movies, novels, and even comic books.  Some notable examples include: the Album Deltron3030, The marvel black panther series of comics and movies, the Steven Barns Alternate history novels Lions blood and Zulu Heart, and many others.

it's an interesting change in perspective that like how anime and manga views things through a Japanese or Asian cultural lens, Akira, Gundam, Ghost in the shell, etc., you could consider classic science fiction as viewing things through a primarily white ethnocentric view, with Afrofuturism taking this idea and viewing it through the concepts and ideas common to Afican and Afican American culture and how it's transformed since the diaspora and exodus from Africa.

anyway that's the gist of it, so what do you guys think?  does the idea intrigue you?  are there other areas that pique your interest?, this should be open to discussion now that the overview is out of the way.
I’m not familiar with this outside of Black Panther. It sounds like a genre I would love.
I learned about it after I'd read the term a couple times in the past but I'm ashamed to say I didn't encounter deltron until recently, despite being a fan of the gorillaz, which is another project by Del the funky homosapien and Dan the Automator made immediately after 3030.

I really need to start looking into it more since it's nice to have a new perspective on concepts and ideas which have become so stale due to hollywood and the recycling of things over and over again, for me it's all about the story and what sorts of ideas it invokes.

there's even Afrofuturist art that looks very cyberpunk, but also different, some of it even looks like a kind of neo-tribalism, like techno-tribal if that's even a thing?, and as a technomancer to me that's very cool.
I have to admit, I'd never heard of the term 'Afrofuturism' before! And I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any works from the genre except for Black Panther (although, that was one of my favourite MCU movies, so maybe I should look into it some more :P )

But it doesn't surprise me that there's so much diversity within Afrofuturism. Africa has over a billion people, and covers an area two-thirds the size of Asia, so you're going to get loads of very different cultures there!
so there's kind of a split divide there.

there's african futurism which is more of an alternate history thing where Africa was never colonized and thus a lot of the enslavement and ethnicide never happened.
And there's Afrofuturism which deals with a speculative future where things of the present are taken to a logical conclusion, often inverted at times but viewed through the lens of afro-centric culture but not always.  As always it can be both positive or negative, but often the main characters are African decedent rather than the usual European decedent type we see in a lot of TV, movies, etc.

of course there's always shades of grey in between but much like steampunk and gaslamp fantasy there's two main groupings.
(07-30-2021, 05:39 PM)Spook of the lost Wrote: [ -> ] so there's kind of a split divide there.

there's african futurism which is more of an alternate history thing where Africa was never colonized and thus a lot of the enslavement and ethnicide never happened.
And there's Afrofuturism which deals with a speculative future where things of the present are taken to a logical conclusion, often inverted at times but viewed through the lens of afro-centric culture but not always.  As always it can be both positive or negative, but often the main characters are African decedent rather than the usual European decedent type we see in a lot of TV, movies, etc.

of course there's always shades of grey in between but much like steampunk and gaslamp fantasy there's two main groupings.

Oh wow, those are quite different in emphasis, even if the subject matter is similar!

Out of those, I think African futurism would be of more interest to me (since I love alternate history in general) - but I'd also be curious to learn more about Afrofuturism itself.

So, what would you say are your favourite works from each of those two categories?
it's a tough question because I'm still new to it myself, honestly it might be better after I've read more than a couple novels... However I'd have to say I find the music and stories told there the most interesting because not only the lyrics but often the compositions themselves sound like a mixture of darkness with hopeful overtones, fitting given cyberpunk is one of my favorite genres and the overlap in feel blends really well.  It's often a mixture of remix and hip-hop culture without the gang emphasis that's so common in popular music played over the radio.  It's got more depth to it would be the biggest thing I noticed, but more interestingly is how the world is portrayed differently both in feel and in story.  It's hard to describe because I don't have a reference point since the culture it's based in is one I'm often unfamiliar with.